
I had so much fun doing these last night. And they are way easy!
Things needed for this project:
Makes 1 Large ornament or 2 med/small size
3/4 c. Birdseed – (I purchased this birdseed mix from Harmons)
1 sm packet of Knox
a mold of some sort (I used snowman, star and snowflake cookie cutters, the snowflakes were a little too delicate but the other worked great!)
1/4 c. water
Twine, raffia or wire for hanger (don’t use bright colored ribbon, it scares the birds away)
Dissolve a packet of Knox in 1/4 c. of water, bring to simmer and stir until dissolved. Let cool slightly.
Add 3/4 c. bird seed and mix very well until seeds are coated. Notice in the pan that there shouldn't be a lot of excess liquid…if you have a lot of puddling add a little more seed.
Spoon the seeds into a mold filling it half way up, and pressing down to make sure it is well packed. Lay tied twine on top of the pressed seed, and fill up the rest of the way so twine is fully covered. I put mine in the freezer for a few hours, so I could easily unmold the ornament. Let it dry out for a few days …flipping it so it drys out completely on both sides and all the way through. You want it really hard and totally dried out so you can hang it in your tree.
Position it in a place where birds can rest and eat.
Wrap in cyclophane and raffia or ribbon and add a sticker or a cute tag.
I am a little confused about what "knox" is, but I looked it up and apparently it is unflavored gelatin? is that correct?
ReplyDelete