Monday, April 11, 2011

Fondue You Won't Forget


Creamy Chocolate Fondue

Commit three ingredients to memory and after you've made this fondue you really won't forget it.

chocolate

marshmallows

cream


Proportions aren't even critical because the recipe is so forgiving, but as a general rule, use a king size chocolate bar or about a bag of chocolate chips. I stockpile Symphony or Cadbury bars when they're on sale, or I use Ghirardelli or Guittard chips. I prefer milk chocolate for this recipe, but you can mix in some semi-sweet. I have a friend who likes to melt a Milky Way bar in there.



Use 20 large marshmallows or the equivalent amount of small ones. Marshmallow cream works too. The second ingredient is important because it gives the fondue a little stretch and thickness.


Cream. A half pint. When I made this on Friday, I actually used about 1/2 cup of half and half and it was fine. I didn't quite have a full bag of chips, and just used a sprinkling of marshmallows, so I didn't want to use much liquid. You can always add more later.




Melt the chocolate and mallows together on low.

It takes about 15 minutes.


It's going to get ugly before it gets pretty...












When it looks like this, I add the cream. But when I first started making this recipe (16 years ago!), I'd dump everything in at once and it still works. Those blasted marshmallows just float around in the chocolate soup too long before they melt.









Give it a stir occasionally and before long it will all come together and look fabulous. Your house will smell like the Hershey's factory too.















Start cutting up your strawberries and bananas! Pretzels are also good. And angel food cake. Or anyting you enjoy dripping with chocolate... If there are any, the leftovers are easily reheated or used in the place of nutella or chocolate sauce. And if you don't have a fondue pot, just use a saucepan!












Chocolate. It's not just for breakfast anymore. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment