Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Quinoa and Black Beans

  • A while ago I bought some quinoa from Winco. It sat there forever until I found this recipe on a blog I follow.
  • I was finally ready for the challenge and with an excess of avocados from Sunflower Market this week, I made it last night and LOVED it. (no, the kids of course wouldn't eat it.)

  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I skipped this as I didn't have it)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels (I used canned)
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Toppings:
lemon or lime juice

sour cream
avocado’s
tomatoes
tortilla chips
shredded cheese

You can check out pictures here. 


Directions

  1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
  2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
  3. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment