
This recipe comes from Cooks Illustrated newsletter! I love these guys. You can always be sure that the recipe will turn out fantastic! I've always wanted to make really yummy baked fries but they always turn out soggy. Ofcourse, I should have gone to these guys for the answer. So now that I know, I'm sharing it with you! Enjoy. I'll be trying this out tonight with yams. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Crispy Oven Fries
We wanted a crisp exterior, fluffy interior, and fresh taste that approached that of real French fries—minus the deep-fryer. Here’s what we discovered:
Test Kitchen Discoveries
• Finding the right shape for the potatoes was key. Shoestrings were fragile and tended to overcook, while extra-thick fries never lost the heavy texture of a baked potato. The best shape resembled a miniature two-by-four, about a half-inch wide by a half-inch thick.
• Steaming peeled, cut potatoes in the microwave before putting them into the oven gave us the fluffy interior of fried fries. This is because as the water in the microwaved potato turns to steam and escapes, the potato’s starch granules absorb some of the moisture, causing them to swell and force the potato cells apart, resulting in a fluffy texture. Be sure to dry the potatoes thoroughly once they come out of the microwave.
• Figuring the hotter the oven, the crisper the fries, we tested ours at extremely high temperatures. Ultimately, we settled on an oven temperature that was hot enough to crisp the fries, but not hot enough to incinerate their edges before the centers browned.
• The key to crispiness turned out to be upping the amount of oil coating the potatoes, and getting both the oil and the pan good and hot before baking them. Sprinkling cornstarch over the fries helped them absorb moisture, which also improved crispiness.
You need a heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet for this recipe; our favorite is the Lincoln Foodservice Half-Size Heavy Duty Sheet Pan.
6 Tablespoons Veggie oil
4 russet potatoes (6-8 oz each), peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick fries
1 Tablespoon Corn starch
1 tsp salt
1. MICROWAVE POTATOES Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Place potatoes in bowl, wrap tightly with plastic, and microwave until translucent around edges, 3 to 5 minutes, shaking bowl to redistribute potatoes halfway through cooking. Transfer potatoes to cooling rack and thoroughly blot fry with paper towels.
2. HEAT OIL Coat rimmed baking sheet with 5 tablespoons oil. Transfer to oven and heat until just smoking, 5 to 7 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk remaining oil, cornstarch, and salt in large bowl. Add potatoes to bowl and toss to coat.
3. BAKES POTATOES Arrange in a single layer on hot baking sheet and bake until deep golden brown and crisp, 25 to 35 minutes, flipping potatoes half-way through cooking time. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate and blot with additional paper towels. Serve.
I made this with sweet potatoes last night, they turned out pretty good, though didn't need to cook very long, some were super crispy! So I would just adjust the baking time, but other than that, delish!
ReplyDelete